Parks and Open Space Planning Internship
The San Francisco Recreation and Park Department is currently recruiting interns for the 2021-2022 academic year with the Department’s Capital and Planning Division. This is a great opportunity to work during the summer and following school year. The San Francisco Recreation and Parks Department (RPD) hires graduate students every summer for a year-long (or longer) part-time (2-3days/week) positions.
- Application period: now through 2/10/21
- Internship period: Summer 2021 to Summer 2022. Interns are eligible to work part-time for 6-months post-graduation or after they stop taking classes.
- Time commitment: A minimum of two days (16-20) hours per week during the school year, up to four days (32 hours) per week during the summer months.
- Pay: $29.50 per hour
SF Rec & Park description of internship main responsibilities:
- Perform site review, research, and data analysis, and preparation of reports related to property acquisition, park and recreation improvement projects and natural resources.
- Prepare informational and analytical maps and infographics using ArcGIS software (ArcMap and/or ArcGIS Pro) and Adobe Creative Suite.
- Prepare presentations and staff reports to citizen advisory groups and the Recreation and Park Commission; assist project manager at community meetings; conduct user intercept surveys.
- Analysis of existing and proposed open spaces and population growth impacts.
- Assist planning staff with review, analysis and preparation as needed for Planning Department documents, such as California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA) reviews and SF Planning Dept Certificates of Appropriateness (CoA) for projects impacting Recreation and Park facilities.
- Evaluation of shadow impact studies for Proposition K (SF’s “Sunlight Ordinance”) analysis and preparation of reports with recommendations for Commission consideration.
- Assist in grant applications through grant writing, policy and environmental sciences research, and graphics preparation.
- Monitor and update capital project schedules in Tableau Desktop analytics program and Airtable.
- Basic administrative support including filing, ordering supplies, receiving mail, data entry, word processing, creating spreadsheets, and other administrative tasks.
Please note this position will likely begin remotely during shelter-in-place orders. When public health directives allow, this position is expected to be fully performed at our office building located at 49 South Van Ness.
If you would like to be considered for the internship position described above, please rank RPD as 1, 2 or 3 within your online application at http://www.sfstudentintern.org/Default.aspx. Interested students are welcome to contact Janice Perez firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.