- EXPLORE OUR PARKS
- Golden Gate Park
- Getting to Golden Gate Park
- Getting to Golden Gate Park by Car
Getting to Golden Gate Park by Car
Golden Gate Park is accessible by a wide range of transportation options, including by car. There is currently a car-free route through the park, but much of the park remains accessible by automobile.
An update on the new traffic pattern for MLK Drive in Golden Gate Park
Where is the car-free route?
The car-free route runs from Stanyan Street at the east end of the park to Ocean Beach and the Great Highway at the west end. The east end of the route includes portions of JFK Drive and Conservatory Drive; the west end of the route includes Overlook Drive, Middle Drive and portions of MLK Drive.
Streets Open to Cars:
Can I drive through the park?
Yes, traveling through the park from the north or south, drivers can use Transverse Drive, Chain of Lakes Drive, and 25th Ave/Crossover Drive/19th Ave/Park Presidio, as usual. Some east- and westbound roads will be impacted. The following road restrictions will be in effect during the road closure:
- The west portion of MLK Drive, from the Metson/Middle Drive/MLK loop to Lincoln Way, is closed to regular traffic. This includes Bernice Rodgers Way, between MLK Drive and JFK Drive.
- Overlook Drive and Middle Drive, between Transverse Drive and the Metson/Middle Drive/MLK loop, will be closed to traffic.
- JFK Drive, between Kezar Drive and Transverse Drive, will remain closed to traffic. This portion of the road had previously been closed during the City’s initial COVID-19 response.
- The entrance at 8th Avenue and Fulton near JFK Drive and the Music Concourse is closed to vehicular traffic.
- Paratransit vehicles are permitted to enter the Music Concourse at 8th Avenue and Fulton.
How do I drive to my favorite spots in the park?
Getting to the museums, Japanese Tea Garden and Music Concourse
- From the north: John F. Kennedy Drive is currently closed to vehicular traffic from Kezar Drive to Transverse Drive. Paid parking is available in the Music Concourse garage as of September 21, 2020, which may be accessed from the Fulton Street and 10th Avenue entrance.
- From the south: The Music Concourse Garage can be accessed via Music Concourse Drive, off of MLK Drive near 9th Avenue and Lincoln Way. There is also street parking along MLK Drive and adjacent streets.
Visit the Getting to the Music Concourse page for more information.
Getting to Stow Lake Boathouse
- From the north: Enter the park at 25th Avenue and Fulton. Stay to the right and take Transverse Drive. Stay on Transverse through the park. Turn left onto MLK Drive, crossing the traffic-light-controlled intersection at Crossover Drive. Turn left onto Stow Lake Drive.
- From the south: Stow Lake Drive can be accessed from MLK Drive. Enter the park at either A) 19th Avenue and Lincoln Way, turning right onto MLK Drive, and left onto Stow Lake Drive; or B) 9th Avenue and Lincoln Way, staying on MLK Drive and turning right onto Stow Lake Drive.
Getting to the Polo Field
- From the north: Street parking is available along JFK Drive, near the north side of the Polo Field. Enter the park from 30th Avenue/Fulton, 36th Avenue/Fulton or 43rd Avenue/Chain of Lakes Drive/Fulton to JFK Drive. The south Polo Field parking lot is accessible by entering the park at 25th Avenue and Fulton. Stay right to Transverse Drive. Turn right onto MLK Drive going west. At the fork in the road, stay right onto Metson Road. The Polo Field will be on the right.
- From the south: A) Enter the park at Sunset Boulevard. Make a right onto MLK Drive. Make a sharp left at Metson Road. The south Polo Field parking lot will be on the right. B) Enter the park at 25th Avenue and Lincoln Way. Make a left at MLK Drive. At the fork in the road, stay right onto Metson Road. The Polo Field will be on the right.
Getting to the Beach Chalet Soccer Fields
- From the north: Enter the park at 47st Avenue and Fulton. Make a slight left onto JFK Drive. The soccer fields will be on the right.
- From the south: Enter the park at 41st Avenue and Lincoln Way to Chain of Lakes Drive, across MLK Drive. Turn left at JFK Drive. JFK Drive will turn slightly right. The soccer fields will be on the left.
Where can I park?
The Music Concourse Garage is an 800-space underground parking lot that gives visitors direct access to the Music Concourse, the de Young and California Academy of Sciences museums, Japanese Tea Garden, and nearby San Francisco Botanical Garden and Conservatory of Flowers. Access to the north entrance of the Music Concourse Garage is from Fulton St. at 10th Avenue. Access to the south entrance is at Concourse Drive and Martin Luther King Dr. inside the park. The Music Concourse Garage is open seven days a week from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. year-round, and parking in the garage is encouraged.
Parking is also available along roadways throughout the park. There are currently about 4,700 parking spaces available in the park.
Accessible parking is available at the following locations:
- McLaren Lodge
- Music Concourse Bandshell Lot (20 spaces)
- Music Concourse Garage (with access at Fulton & 10th Ave, and MLK Drive & Music Concourse Dr)
- MLK Drive & Music Concourse
- 10th Avenue and JFK Drive
- Stow Lake Boahouse
- JFK/Transverse Drive
Accessible Parking Map:
Accessibility Questions Visit our Accessibility Questions page for more information on accessibility resources in our parks, including Golden Gate Park.