All commercial film, video or photo production (Film) on Recreation and Park Department property requires a Film Permit. Commercial film production is defined as any activity that results in a film, video or photograph being sold, or any activity involving filming or photography for which crew and/or talent is paid. This includes "non-profit" productions. This also includes wedding pictures if the photographer is paid. It does not include photography or video for personal use, however tripods even for personal use are restricted in certain areas.


All Film Permits require the coordination of the San Francisco Recreation and Park Department’s Film Permit Office 415-831-6870, with a minimum of seven working days notice prior to date of the shoot. Submit an online Application Form.

The Recreation and Park Department issues its own permits for interior work and work in revenue producing facilities (e.g. Kezar, Coit Tower etc.).

Filming Courtesies

Filming is not encouraged on weekends, as this is the busiest time for parks, and staff supervision is limited. Filming is generally prohibited in Golden Gate Park on weekends and on the first Tuesday of each month, as this is Free Day at museums and tends to be very busy.