- Permits & Reservations
- Picnic Rentals
PICNIC PERMITS UNDER CURRENT HEALTH ORDERS
Small Outdoor Gathering Reservations at Picnic Sites
The most recent Health Orders allow for small outdoor gatherings as follows:
- Small Outdoor Gatherings of up to 50 people. Participants who are not part of the same household must remain at least six feet apart. All participants must wear a Face Covering. No food or beverage is permitted.
- Outdoor Meal Gatherings of up to 25 people. Participants who are not part of the same household must remain at least six feet apart. All participants must wear Face Coverings unless eating or drinking.
- Permit holders are responsible for to ensuring that the picnic tables are sanitized before and after use.
Picnic areas are available in Golden Gate Park, John McLaren Park as well as numerous neighborhood parks.
As the public health crisis continues to evolve, we are only able to process reservations three weeks in advance of your event date. Per the health order, groups should limit the duration of their gathering to the shortest time possible, even if it is outdoors. The shorter it is, the safer it is.
Alternatively, you can call us at 415-831-5500, Monday-Friday from 10am-2pm, with the exception of holidays.
Email questions to RPDReservations@sfgov.org.
A coyote warning has been issued for the following picnic areas. Please see the specific directory page for more details.
Dolores Park Picnic applications must complete an online application or call 415-831-5500.
Picnic and Impact Fees
We offer picnic sites with a variety of different amenities. Multiple sites include barbecue grills and tables perfect for birthday parties and social gatherings, while larger open spaced sites can appeal to larger groups and special activities like a jumper-house or kickball. Reservations for the month of January through Saturday, February, 29, 2020 begin Wednesday, November 13, 2019. Reservations starting Sunday, March 1, 2020 begin Wednesday, January 29, 2020, provided that you may not book more than six months in advance. If you require reservations further in advance, please visit our page on Special Events. Site availability may vary and we do book up quickly so please plan to reserve a site early! Large Picnics Picnics of 100 or more need to complete a Large Picnic Application Form (you might want to contact us first to confirm availability).
Cancellations & Changes
Any changes or cancellations must be made at least 10 business days prior to the event date and will be subject to a fee of the higher of $29 or 20% of the reservation fee. For refunds (as opposed to a credit to your San Francisco Recreation and Parks Department (SFRPD) account), there will be a refund fee of the higher of $14 or 20% of the refund amount. There are no changes or cancellations within 10 business days of the event date.
Special events are handled by a different area of our office and require a different form to be completed. Any event doing any of the following is considered a special event:
- Advertising that it is open to the public
- Amplified sound
- Needing to confirm date/time/location more than 6 months in advance
- Requiring special set ups of stages, tents, barricades fences or other items
- Selling food, alcohol or merchandise
- Selling tickets
If you will have one of these, then please complete a Special Event Application.