Rec and Park is coordinating with the Public Works Bureau of Urban Forestry (BUF) to notice community members about upcoming tree work at Esprit, as part of a wholescale renovation of the park. BUF will be posting trees within the right of way proposed for removal, as part of their tree removal permit process. Rec and Park will be posting trees within the park. Notices are anticipated to be posted on Monday, September 12, 2022.
The project includes protecting and preserving over 60 existing trees. It also involves planting 92 new trees and thousands of plants. Here are some of the things we’re doing to protect existing trees and help new plantings to thrive:
- Independent arborist assessment of tree hazard risk, condition, and suitability for preservation
- Independent arborist review of design document submittals to minimize construction impacts
- Major soil remediation (soils report showed poor planting suitability currently)
- Plant species selection
- Overhaul of irrigation system
- Trenching layout
- Decking to protect tree roots
Our intent is to proceed with tree work as soon as possible pending construction start (anticipated: November 2022), in order to avoid infringing on bird nesting season and potential schedule delays. Protocols are in place via project specifications to protect nesting birds.
Thank you in advance for your understanding and support of this exciting project!