55 outdoor pickleball courts | 11 dedicated pickleball | dedicated pickleball hours at 4 sites
Pickleball is one of the fastest growing sports, not just here in the United States but internationally as well. According to the USA Pickleball Association, the sport was invented in 1965 on Bainbridge Island, a short ferry ride from Seattle, Washington. Three dads whose kids were bored with their usual summertime activities created the game, which combines the elements of tennis, badminton and ping pong. Pickleball has since evolved from original handmade equipment and simple rules into a popular sport both nationally and internationally, with many European and Asian countries adding courts.
"Fun, social and friendly. The rules are simple and the game is easy for beginners to learn, but can develop into a quick, fast-paced, competitive game for experienced players." -- USA Pickleball Association
The Recreation and Park Department has worked to accommodate the growing interest in pickleball in San Francisco by significantly increasing the locations available to play pickleball. Additionally, the department will continue to prepare and stripe courts for pickleball as courts are resurfaced.
Outdoor Courts with Pickleball Lines
Unless otherwise noted, you will need to bring your own net.
- Louis Sutter Playground – 6 dedicated pickleball courts with nets (first-come, first-served)
- Stern Grove – 6 pickleball courts total on Courts 1 & 2 and dedicated pickleball hours for group play. TEMPORARILY CLOSED due to flooding at Stern Grove. Replaced with courts at Parkside Square.
- Parkside Square – Pickleball group play (Every day, 12:30 to 3:30 p.m. on Courts 1 & 2 with nets provided).
- Presidio Wall Playground – 12 pickleball courts total on Courts 1-4 and dedicated pickleball hours for group play (Weekdays 10:30 am-1:30 pm with nets provided). Reserve a court at Presidio Wall Courts 1-4
- Richmond Playground – 2 pickleball courts total on Court 1. Reserve a court at Richmond Playground
- Rossi Playground – 8 pickleball courts total on Courts 1-3 (Courts 1 & 2 are first-come, first-served). Reserve a court at Rossi Court 3
- Upper Noe Rec Center – 2 pickleball courts total on Court 1 with drop-in pickleball hours (Tuesdays and Thursdays, 10:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. with nets available to rent). Reserve a court at Upper Noe
- Golden Gate Park Goldman Tennis Center – 5 dedicated pickleball courts with nets
- States Street Playground – 2 pickleball courts on volleyball courts (first-come, first-served)
- Crocker Amazon Playground – 2 pickleball courts on volleyball courts (first-come, first-served)
- George Christopher Playground– 2 pickleball courts (first-come, first-served)
Indoor Pickleball Facilities
The Department has expanded offerings of dedicated pickleball play times in gyms. Please note that due to Covid-19, these have been suspended for the time being but we are looking to restart at some point in the near future.
- Hamilton Rec Center Gymnasium
- Upper Noe Rec Center Gymnasium
- Glen Park Rec Center Gymnasium
- Eureka Valley Rec Center Gymnasium
- Indoor Venues in San Francisco (external)