- EXPLORE OUR PARKS
- Park Improvements
- Active Park Projects
- India Basin Waterfront Park
India Basin Waterfront Park
In 2014, the San Francisco Recreation and Park Department acquired the property at 900 Innes Avenue in India Basin, a site that features scenic views, waterfront access, and natural resources in San Francisco’s Bay View Hunters Point (BVHP) neighborhood.
At India Basin, the Department, in partnership with Trust for Public Land, the San Francisco Parks Alliance, A. Philip Randolph Institute, and the BVHP community endeavor to build a park that is both spectacular and crucial to the health of San Francisco’s southeast communities, which have been historically underserved. The development of 900 Innes will transform a post-industrial brownfield into the 21st-century legacy park in a historic waterfront context, with an emphasis on:
- Habitat and wetland restoration and enhancement
- Public access
- Resiliency to sea level rise
- Social equity
- Waterfront recreation
The proposed plan combines the existing India Basin Shoreline Park area and 900 Innes property into one grand 10-acre waterfront park development that closes a critical gap in the San Francisco Bay Trail. The property is also the mid-point of the one and a half-mile-long India Basin shoreline, which is comprised of seven properties totaling 64 acres, six of seven of which are in some stage of development.
As such, there is a unique opportunity to design these properties so that the India Basin shoreline becomes a seamless waterfront park experience on a grand scale. It will be integrated parks, trails and open space systems with a comprehensive set of programs and amenities, trails that connect gracefully, one signage system, and furniture and fixtures that complement each other.
Phase 1: 900 Innes Remediation - March 2021 to August 2022
As part of an ambitious plan to restore a decaying shoreline along the San Francisco Bay, the first phase of the India Basin Waterfront Park Project addressed decades of pollution and environmental degradation in an area marred by heavy industrial use. Bayview’s own Rubecon Builders successfully remediated the future park site at 900 Innes, laying the foundation for a new park and supporting future restoration efforts while creating a robust wildlife habitat along the shoreline.
The remediation project removed and restored contaminated soil and sediment left behind from industrial boat building and vessel repair activities. The construction activities also removed contaminated marine debris, abandoned structures, and deteriorated concrete to enable future park development. The landmarked Shipwright’s Cottage was preserved and abated of hazardous building materials and is ready to be restored during the construction of the 900 Innes Park.
The construction activities occurred on land, as well as within the shallow waters lying immediately to the north of 900 Innes Avenue. The offshore remediation activities included the removal of debris and dilapidated structures, followed by targeted excavation of between four and five feet within the intertidal and subtidal zone, installation of a coffer dam, and placement of an equivalent backfill material (beneficial reuse material) to serve as a protective cap. On land, the work cleared the site of abandoned structures, unusable concrete surfaces, and removed two feet of soils followed by backfill to support future park design grades per the Remedial Action Plan. A minimum of a six inch to one-foot-thick offshore sand cap was placed in the mudflats near India Basin Shoreline Park to protect the current sediment from disturbance and prevent uncovering of sediment that contains slightly elevated concentrations of contaminants of concern below the surface.
Phase 2: 900 Innes Park Development - September 2022 to April 2024
Following the completion of remediation at the 900 Innes Avenue, the project partners, working with Swinerton Construction, will transform the site into a new bayfront park that includes:
- Rehabilitation of San Francisco Landmark #250: Shipwrights Cottage
- Construction of three new buildings, including a food pavilion, the makers shop, and an operations/maintenance building
- Addition of a new public restroom
- Construction of two new public piers
- Installation of a new floating dock for public access
- ADA-compliant walkway from Innes Avenue to the Bay Trail and waterfront
- Construction of the San Francisco Bay Trail segment
- Restoration of salvaged materials, including the marine way rails
- Viewing decks and platforms
- Landscaping with native grasses, vegetation, and habitat species
Phase 3: India Basin Shoreline Park - Summer 2024 to Summer 2026
After the completion of 900 Innes Park, the project partners will turn their attention to the renovation of India Basin Shoreline Park (IBSP), an existing 7.5-acre site originally constructed in the 1990’s. The proposed plans for IBSP include major site regrading to ease steep slopes to allow for more site access and create additional opportunities for shoreline habitat. The concept plans would maintain and expand the current active recreational amenities and increases opportunities to gather, recreate and play.
- Addition of new gravel beach/shore at the end of the great lawn
- New cookout terrace and grilling area
- Construction of a new boat house, pier, and recreational dock for kayaking and fishing
- Renovation of the existing playground and addition of a new toddler playground
- Adult fitness station area
- Two new basketball courts
- Placement of decks and platform throughout the site, including a new view of the Bay City Ferry shipwreck
- New site furnishings and lighting
- Restoration of the shoreline habitat and additional landscaping
- Renovation of the existing Bay Trail to connect to adjacent parks
- Addition of a cycletrack and bikeway
Visit the project website for more information: India Basin Waterfront Parks (ibwaterfrontparks.com)
City Breaks Ground on New Waterfront ParkGroundbreaking ceremony to mark the beginning of construction of the new India Basin Waterfront Park structures Read on...
Contractor Approved to Build New Waterfront ParkA contractor was approved to build the first portion of the new India Basin Waterfront Park Read on...
Water Barrier RemovedThe water barrier has been removed at 900 Innes, a huge step in completing the remediation of the site Read on...
Save the Date: India Basin Groundbreaking Event on June 17!Mark your calendars! A groundbreaking event marking the beginning of remediation work on the India Basin project is scheduled for Thursday, June 17 . . . Read on...
India Basin Shoreline Park Meeting to Discuss the Playground 3/2/21!Join us for a virtual community meeting! Read on...
Design SurveyThe San Francisco Recreation & Park Department, the Trust for Public Land and San Francisco Parks Alliance are pleased to kick-off the Schematic Design phase for the future park at the 900 Innes Boatyard at India Basin. Read on...
TAKE A SELFIE AND WIN OUTSIDE LANDS TICKETS!Do you take the best selfies? Do you like parks? Here’s your chance to channel your inner influencer and win tickets to 2019 Outside Lands Music and Art Festival. Read on...
New Mural on Historic Shipwright’s Cottage Celebrates India Basin CommunityAmid a neighborhood celebration, city officials today unveiled a new mural celebrating the Bayview-Hunters Point community on a historic building that will become an integral part Read on...
- Concept Design (PDF)
- Concept Design Modifications 900 Innes (PDF)
- MGF Feasibility Study 900 Innes Avenue (PDF)
- 900 Innes Structural 09-21-2015 (PDF)
- Final 900 Innes Biological Resources Assessment 06-16-2015 - Sent To Client (PDF)
- Final 900 Innes Wetland Delin Final 06-16-2015 - Sent to Client (PDF)
- India Basin Sea Level Rise Memorandum 07-08-2015 (PDF)
- India Basin Waterfront Parks- Coastal Processes Study 09-2015 (PDF)
- 11-30-2015 Waterfront Study Part 1 120315 Compressed (PDF)
- 11-30-2015 Waterfront Study Part 2 120315 Compressed (PDF)
- India Basin Concept Approval Adopt CEQA Findings, Staff Report, August 1, 2018 (PDF)
- Staff Report India Basin Parks Concept Designs Final 03-07-2018 (PDF)
- MOU Staff Report 08-05-2015 (PDF)
- Acquisition Staff Report 06-19-2014 (PDF)
- PROSAC Update 06-03-2014 (PDF)
Grant Award Materials - Environmental Protection Agency Brownfield Clean-up Grant Application
- 3 Abca Parcel 3A Shipwrights Cottage (PDF)
- 900 Innes ABCA Weston 2013 (PDF)
- 900 Innes Parcel 3 A (Shipwrights Cottage) (PDF)
- 900 Innes Parcel 3A Shipwrights Cottage Draft 12-1-2016 (PDF)
- 900 Innes Parcel 3B (PDF)
- 900 Innes Parcel 3B Draft 12-01-2016 (PDF)
- Analysis of Brownfield Cleanup Alternatives Report (PDF)
- Community Meeting Notice - Public Comments Needed 12-02-2014 (PDF)
- Draft Abca 900 Innes Avenue Site Final Report (PDF)
- Grant Application for Parcel Number 1 (PDF),
- Grant Application for Parcel Number 2 (PDF)
- Grant Application for Parcel Number 3 (PDF)
- IB Environmental Park Agency Brownfield Grant Presentation (PDF)
- India Basin Transportation and Open Space Planning Meeting Notice 02-19-2015 (PDF)
Community Meetings - Notes and Presentations
- Playground Design Feedback Presentation, March 2, 2021 (PDF)
- Playground Mural Results, Community Meeting, March 2, 2021 (PDF)
- Task Force Meeting Number 5 Summary, December 3, 2015 (PDF)
- Task Force Meeting Number 4 Presentation, November 5, 2015 (PDF)
- Task Force Meeting Number 4 Summary, November 5, 2015 (PDF)
- Task Force Meeting Number 3 Presentation, October 7, 2015 (PDF)
- Task Force Meeting Number 3 Summary, October 7, 2015 (PDF)
- Task Force Meeting Number 2 Presentation, August 27, 2015 (PDF)
- Task Force Meeting Number 2 Summary, August 27, 2015 (PDF)