- Find A Program
- Youth Employment Programs
Youth Employment Programs
San Francisco Recreation and Parks is the perfect introduction to the work force for city youth. We partner with other city agencies and organizations to place nearly 500 teens in our parks, programs, recreation centers and offices each year, providing a unique, fun experience for youth workers.
Our Workreation Program, now in its 60th year, has provided generations of city teens with their first work experience, and our Greenager Program focuses on leadership, park stewardship and community service projects for teens in the southeast and northeast neighborhoods in the city.
Over the past 60 years, the Workreation program has provided young people with early work experience in our parks. Teens, ages 14-17, who either live or go to school in San Francisco, are eligible to apply for a Workreation job. Teens can apply for school year positions to work after school and on Saturdays, and summer positions to work in day camps, aquatic centers, admin offices, rec centers or parks. We hire about 50 teens for the school year and over 150 teens for the summer. The pay rate is minimum wage (currently $16.66/hr) and teens can work up to 10 hours per week during the school year and up to 20-25 hours per week during the summer. The Workreation program also offers workshops throughout the year in job readiness and life skills, not only for our teen workers, but for all teens in San Francisco.
Types of Jobs
- Camp Assistant
- Swimming Pool Assistant
- Recreation Center/Facility Assistant
- Gardening Assistant
- Office Assistant
**The application filing period for SF Recreation and Park Department Workreation (summer 2020) CLOSED in early January and we are scheduling interviews in February. Applicants will be notified of the next steps via email so please ensure that your email accepts incoming emails from @sfgov.org (check Spam or Bulk mail folders).
Other Youth Employment Opportunities
Please contact the following organizations for additional youth employment opportunities in San Francisco:
If you have any questions please email email@example.com or call 415-831-6812.
The Greenager Program is a San Francisco Recreation and Park Department and Port of San Francisco youth stewardship and leadership program that runs from June through January each year. The program was created and designed to offer teens a chance to play an important role in the community by improving the city’s green spaces, raising awareness, creating place-based projects and/or projects based on issues or themes participants value and are interested in.
The Greenager Program is for teenagers that live in or attend a school in the southeast or northeast neighborhoods of San Francisco. Greenagers are trained and provided with multiple leadership opportunities. They facilitate workshops, lead public volunteer service projects, participate in community events, go on fun team excursions and more.
Our goal is to create a safe atmosphere in which youth can learn about the importance of the preservation of our parks and open spaces, voice their concerns about their environment and community, and take action while gaining fundamental job and life skills, push and challenge their perceived limitations, bond with like-minded peers and have fun all in their own backyard!
- Program established in 2012 with a crew based in southeast SF
- In 2017, added a second crew based in northeast of SF
- 70 teens have successfully completed the 8-month program, 12 have returned as leaders for a second year
- Coastal Clean Up site captains since 2013
- Engaged with over 500 community members and key stakeholders
- Service provided in over 20 different parks and opens spaces in San Francisco
- 8,300 hours of service to our city’s parks and open spaces, community events and rec centers
- Received Board of supervisor’s program commendation on July 29, 2014
- Annual sailing excursion with Blue Water Foundation and other fun adventures including camping to get youth outdoors
- 1st year Greenagers can earn up to $100/month
- 2nd year Greenager leaders can earn up $150/month
- Earn community service credit (varies by school)
- Forge new long-lasting friendships
- Gain valuable and transferable job skills
- Advance your leadership & public speaking skills
- Gain professional work experience
- Explore new parks, rec centers & open spaces
- Learn about SF’s native flora and fauna
- Network with various organizations and like-minded youth
- Meet physical education requirements if applicable (varies by school)
- Go on fun camping trips and excursions
- Looks great on your resume
Who can be a Greenager?
To be a Greenager you must meet the criteria below:
- You must live in or attend a school in the Southeast Sector of San Francisco (Excelsior, Portola, Bayview, Hunter’s Point, Visitation Valley, Crocker Amazon, or Potrero Hill) or Northeast Sector of San Francisco (Western Addition, Tenderloin and Chinatown); or you must be referred to us by one of our direct partners
- Must be a 9th to 12th grade student
- Must be able to commit to the full program