The Twin Peaks Promenade conceptual design was approved by the Recreation and Park Commission in June 2022!
Design aspects that will be addressed and refined during schematic design and onward, some of which is based on input from community stakeholders, include the following:
- Fire and emergency access
- Disability access
- Design of wayfinding and interpretive signage
- Balancing accommodating skateboard / skater use with other uses
- Minimizing graffiti and vandalism / maintenance burden
- Identifying opportunities for seating and gathering and wind breaks for comfort
- Finalizing logistics of full or partial concrete barrier removal
Staff are now moving into advancing trails improvement project plans to construction documents while we wait for notification from grantors regarding the two grants we applied for to fund the promenade construction. We will then make the call, pending notification, as to whether we can move forward contracting out promenade and trails improvement scope together and, if not, we will contract out the trails improvement scope only.
In other news, we are transitioning Project Managers for the project. After working on projects on Twin Peaks for nearly 10 years, Melinda Sullivan is transitioning off the project to focus on other projects. Keri Ayers is taking over. The Capital team has already had several project transition meetings and Keri is excited to pick up with where Melinda left off to see the project through to completion. Please reach out to Keri with any questions or concerns at Keri.Ayers@sfgov.org.
Stay tuned for more updates and, until then, happy trails!
Melinda Stockmann Sullivan