Gene Friend Recreation Center Project
Recreation and Park Department and The Trust for Public Land Staff have been working with the community since late 2014 to envision improvements to Gene Friend Recreation Center. A feasibility study modeled various tiers of intervention, from building improvements to the existing recreation center to a completely new and expanded facility. Based on community feedback, the project team also explored building replacement options. The study demonstrated that improvements to the existing building would be costly and would not fully accommodate community desires and the needs of the growing SOMA neighborhood. Construction of a new recreation center and facility will allow RPD to provide more public amenities, improve site access and security, and will provide greater seismic strength and environmental benefits.
Partnership with the Trust for Public Land
The Trust for Public Land is a national non-profit organization that works in partnership with the City and communities to ensure that everyone has access to quality parks and open space. Some of the recent playground renovation efforts resulting from this partnership include Hayes Valley Playground, Balboa Park, Boeddeker Park and most recently Helen Diller Playgrounds at Civic Center.
If you would like to sign up for updates click here and scroll down to the NewsFlash and select the alerts you would like to receive.
We are excited to be moving toward onboarding our new design team for the project! . . . Read on...
Updates to RFP for Architectural & Engineering Services and Recruitment Timeline for Gene Friend RecThank you for helping us to get the word out to folks who may be interested in working on the project. . . . Read on...
Thank you for helping us to get the word out to folks who may be interested in working on the project. . . Read on...
Thanks to all of our community members who have provided valuable input since early 2015 on the feasibility study Read on...
The Gene Friend Rec Center design team presented project design and drawings to the San Francisco Arts Commission’s Civic Design Review Committee Read on...
- Gene Friend Conceptual Design Commission Staff Report (PDF)
- Gene Friend Conceptual Design (PDF)
- Civic Design Review Concept Design Presentation 12-14-2015 (PDF)
- Civic Design Review Phase 1 Presentation 10-15-2018 (PDF)
- Meeting Number 1 Boards 03-26-2015 (PDF)
- Meeting Number 1 Notice 03-26-2015 (PDF)
- Meeting Number 2 Notice 05-28-2015 (PDF)
- Meeting Number 2 Presentation 05-28-2015 (PDF)
- Meeting Number 3 Notice 10-01-2015 (PDF)
- Meeting Number 3 Presentation 10-01-2015 (PDF)
- Meeting Number 4 Boards 12-15-2015 (PDF)
- Meeting Number 4 Notice 12-15-2015 (PDF)
- Meeting Number 4 Presentation 12-15-1205 (PDF)
- Meeting Number 5 Boards 09-25-2018 (PDF)
- Meeting Number 5 Presentation 09-25-2018 (PDF)